Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Logical Consequence to Share

We have many play weapons in this house of 3 boys. Just yesterday, the boys were play fighting and I warned them about the differences between pretend play and real fighting. I explained that if they were using the weapons for real fighting I would have to throw them away because we don't hurt people. I told them that even if they hurt someone on accident, the sword would have to be thrown away since they weren't being careful. Well, of course, Jay hit Neil by accident and I had to follow through. To make an even bigger impact, it was trash day. I marched the sword to the curb with Jay screaming behind me. I picked him up, waved to the neighbor who was smiling understanding what he was witnessing, and went inside. I knew right away how that logical consequence was sinking in. Clark and Neil were standing there with their swords in hand. They both put them down and suggested other games to play. No yelling from Mommy and the problem was solved. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Ginny, how sad! Poor Jay. I've done something like that before...but luckily my neighbor made a comment to me about my screaming child. It made me realize that I was teaching my child distrust, and no lesson was being learned by her. I, on the other hand, learned a valuable lesson that day.

    ReplyDelete